Large Patrol Submarine
- T Class Group Three 1942
This class were built as a replacement for the 'P' class and were very often referred to as the 'Replacement 'P'. They were some 400 tons smaller than the 'O', 'P' and 'R' classes but were superior in just about every other aspect except surface speed as their displacement meant they could be fitted with less powerful diesel engines.
It was intended to fit the first group with different types of engines so an evaluation could be done on the differing types, the commencement of WWII halted this and the remaining boats were either fitted with Vickers or Admiralty design diesel units.
The first batch were of an all riveted design and their torpedo tubes were arranged to fire forward, this was modified in all later boats which had an external stern tube fitted. The two external midships tubes were moved further aft and also turned to fire astern. Another disadvantage of this first batch were the forward external tubes. These were encased in a bulbous casing which caused a bow-wave which proved to be an obstruction when using the periscope. These modifications were carried through to the Second group.
The Third group benefited from all the above and also was fitted with a 20mm Anti-aircraft gun aft of the conning tower as well as being fitted with RDF. These modifications were eventually carried out on all the class with the exception of losses.
Some of this Third group were partially of a welded structure and eventually of a complete welded structure. The boats which were completely welded were transferred to the Far East as some of their tanks were converted to carry fuel which gave them a much larger radius of operation.
The longest patrol carried out by a British submarine was recorded by Tantalus who spent 56 days.
The class proved to be most successful and were employed in all theatres of WWII, they suffered their greatest losses in the Mediterranean which was not suited to large submarines. After the end of WWII some of the 'T' class were streamlined: Five of the riveted hull boats of which were Tapir, Tireless, Talent, Teredo and Token were modernised with up to date sonar and fitted with a fin type conning tower.
In the 1950's eight
of the welded type were completely rebuilt, their hulls were cut in
two and lengthened. Improvements were made to the propulsion
units both electric and diesel, modern noise reduction techniques were
fitted as well as new sensors, these also were fitted with a fin type
The eight were: Tabard, Trump, Truncheon, Tiptoe, Taciturn, Thermopylae, Totem and Turpin.
|H.M. Dockyard, Devonport.||1942 - 1944|
|Turpin||H.M. Dockyard, Portsmouth.||1943|
|Thermopylae||H.M. Dockyard, Chatham.||1942 - 1945|
|Tabard||Scotts, Greenock.||1942 - 1945|
The following were cancelled: P.341, P.343 - P.344, P.349, P.345 - P.348, P.351.
P.345 - P.348 were re-ordered as A Class submarines on 7th April 1943.
|Displacement (tons):|| 1,090
|Length (ft):||273.25 oa|
|Machinery:|| 6 cylinder
Admiralty Diesel 2,500 bhp
Laurence Scott electric motors 1,450 bhp
|Speed (kts):|| 15.25
|Oil Supply (tons):||129-132 later increased to 215-230.|
|Armament:|| 1 x 4
inch/40 QF Mk XII (Except Tabard, Talent, Tapir, Tarn, Teredo
and Thermopylae-1 x 4 inch/40 QF Mk XXII).
1 x 20mm HA Oerlikon.
3 x 0.303 Lewis or Vickers Mg.
11 x 21 inch tubes, 8 fwd, 2 amidships and 1 aft.
17 reloads or 12 MkII mines.
|Range:||11,000/80nm at 10/4 kts.|
|Complement:||63-68 (5 Officers and 58 Others normally).|
H.M. Submarine Tabard
H.M. Submarine Tabard 1955
H.M. Submarine Tabard paying off.
|Type:||T Class||Third Group|
|Laid Down:||6th September 1944.||Scotts,
Transferred from Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness.
|Commissioned:||25th June 1946.||Not known at present.|
|Commander:||Not known at present.||Not known at present.|
|Complement:||63||5 Officers and 58 Ratings.|
|Service Career:||Not known at present.||Not known at present.|
|One of the 'T' class chosen for streamlining and improved performance.|
|Fate:||Scrapped 14th March 1974.|